As a former globe-trotting award-winning journalist turned best-selling author, The Real Housewives of New York City‘s Carole Radziwill’s personal style is sophisticated and urban. Carole pairs classic, well-fitted pieces that flatter her petite frame with edgier accessories for a super stylish look that’s the perfect mix of uptown and downtown.
Here’s how to get Carole’s signature city chic look:
1. Sequin mini dress: Because Carole has such a petite, delicate frame she looks fabulous in shorter hemlines that show off her mile-long legs, like this sequined mini dress by Antik Batik ($685). Perfect for your next night out, this sequin embellished dress is flirtatious and sexy, while the dark colour and long sleeves keeps it from being over the top.
2. Shearling-trimmed leather jacket: Carole is often shown wearing outerwear that’s trimmed with fur and leather. This shearling-trimmed leather jacket by Anne Vest ($2,065) is the perfect mix of luxurious comfort and downtown cool.
3. Knit Beanie: This housewife has proven to us several times that she can rock a beanie and make it look good. Add a touch of downtown luxe to your wardrobe this winter with a cozy, cashmere blend beanie like this one by All Saints. We’re sure Carole would approve.
4. Cape jacket: Yes, the other girls made fun of Carole’s cape that she chose to wear on the plane to London, but we think she was on to something fashion-wise. A dark colored cape jacket like this one by Dorothy Perkins is classic, sophisticated and just slightly unexpected — in the best way possible.
5. Distressed skinny jeans: Perfect for wandering around your favorite spots in the East Village or for a day spent working on your next masterpiece, a pair of subtly distressed skinnies like these ones by J Brand (US $210) will keep you comfortable while earning you major cool points.
6. Knee-High Socks and Pearls: These high socks aren’t just for grade schoolers or people who want to look like them. The perfect accessory for chilly temperatures, Carole has shown us that a pair of “big girl” socks like these plush fleece-lined thigh highs ($27) can look sophisticated and stylish when paired with a simple black skirt and a pair of boots. To keep your look classic and balanced, go minimal with the jewellery and accessorize with a pair of simple pearl studs like these ones by Juliet and Company ($21).
7. Studded boots: Never one to look prissy, we think Carole would totally approve of these studded flat boots by Aldo ($160). Pair them with your favorite skinnies for your next globe-trotting adventure or Sunday afternoon meet up with friends.
8. Skater skirt: A skater skirt like this Milly leather top full skirt (US $393) is sweet and flirtatious, while the leather waistband gives it a bit of edge. Pair a black skater skirt with a leather jacket for a look that’s chic and urban.
9. Ankle booties: Downplay the sexiness of your cocktail attire (although only marginally) and add some edge with a pair of cap-toe ankle booties like these ones by Aldo ($120).
10. Quilted bag: There’s something timelessly classic about a quilted purse. Accessorize your look with a Chanel-inspired tote like this Lindwall quilted shopper ($89). Featuring faux leather and boucle panel detailing, this is the kind of bag you can wear anywhere.
Don’t miss the season finale of The Real Housewives of New York City, airing tonight at 9pm.
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.