Never one to mince words when it comes to handing out business advice, Tabatha Coffey, host of Tabatha Takes Over is confident, savvy and assertive — qualities which are reflected in her personal style. This superstar hair stylist and entrepreneur always looks pulled together and authoritative in her wardrobe which is chock-full of luxe, dark-coloured pieces with clean lines. They say what you wear can affect how you feel.
If you’d like to look and feel like you’re the boss, here’s how to add some of Tabatha’s slick, take-charge style to your wardrobe:
1. Animal-print blazer: Animal prints are impossible to ignore this season. Show them who’s boss in a tailored animal-print blazer like this one by House of Fraser (£48). Paired with a dark-coloured trouser or pencil skirt, a touch of animal print looks chic and on-trend.
2. Edgy black top: Tabatha favours dark, monochromatic clothing and edgy cuts. This sheer black cut-out turtleneck by MANGO ($50) is a versatile piece that plays double duty as something that can be worn at work or for dinner and drinks with friends.
3. Black peplum blazer: From dresses, shirts to blazers — the peplum is one hot trend. This black peplum blazer from Victoria’s Secret (US $128) accentuates your curves while sending the message “I’m in charge!” loud and clear.
4. Statement skirt: Keep your monochromatic look interesting with a bold statement piece like this layered feather skirt by Warehouse (£80). Pair it with a simple silk tank and heels for your next night out or holiday party.
5. Chain bracelet: When it comes to jewellery, Tabatha tends to gravitate towards minimalism. Pull your look together with an elegantly bold chain bracelet like this one by Ben Amun (US $155).
6. Black ankle booties: Inject some downtown cool into your outfit with a pair of sexy ankle booties like these ones by Burak Uyan (£599). Pair them with some skinny pants or a cocktail dress for a look that’s fun and fashion-forward.
7. Skinny brocade pants: To keep her mostly black wardrobe from looking drab, Tabatha loves to experiment with different textures. These brocade skinny jeans by Current/Elliott (US $275) add texture and pattern to an all-black look while giving a nod to this season’s rock and roll trends. Pair them with your favorite silk shirt and a fitted blazer.
8. Black nail polish: Tabatha loves black, which is why this Union Jack Black polish by Butter London ($17) is perfect. A short, black, glossy manicure looks clean and sophisticated with a downtown edge.
9. Statement necklace: A dramatic necklace like this geometric triangle necklace by Miss Selfridge (£17) makes even the simplest outfits pop.
10. Leather skirt: Leather is another hot trend this season. For a softer look, go for a full leather skirt like this one by Milly (US $495).
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.