September is one of my favourite months for fashion: cut-off shorts begin to make way for cozy knits and magazines have hit the newsstands stocked full of fashion inspiration for the season. Although I often catch myself daydreaming of plaid and cashmere once September rolls around, the weather doesn’t always match up with my sartorial musings. Early fall is a “shoulder season” where the weather can vary in temperature, making it hard at times to know what to wear. However, with some creative layering and key pieces, you can easily look pulled together during a shoulder season.
1. Breton Stripes: Inspired by French sailors and popularized by Coco Chanel, a classic Breton striped shirt like this one from Serious Sally By RUT M.FL (available at Nelly.com) looks crisp and chic regardless of the season. Pair it with your favorite denim in lieu of your standby summer tanks.
2. Coloured denim: Don’t put away your coloured denim yet! The colour trend – especially when it comes to denim, is sticking around for fall in a big way. For those of us who forked out the cash for the perfect pair of coloured jeans like these rose skinnies by J Brand (available at Stylebop), you can easily work them into your wardrobe for fall by pairing them with a filmy silk blouse or blazer.
3. Boyfriend blazer: A nicely tailored blazer like this black boyfriend style available at SheInside is the perfect layering piece for early fall and spring. Throw it on over a summery printed dress or tank to update your look for fall. During a shoulder season a blazer can easily double as a lightweight jacket.
4. Printed dress: Just because fall is in the air doesn’t mean you have to pack away all of your favourite summer dresses just yet. A lively printed dress like this one by Sweet Verona can easily be worn during early fall by pairing it with a cardigan or blazer.
5. Opaque tights: As temperatures begin to drop, opaque tights like these ones by GERBE (available at Pret a Beaute) will become your best friend. Your favourite summer skirts and dresses (like the one above) can be paired with opaque tights and a boyfriend blazer for a look that’s 100 percent fall friendly.
6. Moccasin-style loafers: Loafers are hot this fall. Transition your casual wardrobe into the new season by
swapping your favourite summer flats for a cozy pair of moccasin-style loafers like these Southwest “El Paso” mocs by Minnetonka (available at Nordstrom).
7. Ankle boots: If you love to live in skinny denim and flats (like I do!), channel your inner rock star and update your daily uniform by swapping your usual ballet flats for a pair of studded ankle boots like these ones by Jeffrey Campbell (available at Jades 24).
8. Infinity scarf: Now that you’ve successfully layered and updated some of your summer basics for fall, add an extra touch of warmth and comfort to your outfit with a luxurious infinity scarf like this one by Newport News.
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.