Finally, the air is warm and the birds are-a singing. This could be the best time of year, unless of course, like me, you are susceptible to ‘the frizzies’. I love having wavy hair, but as the air becomes moist it brings with it challenging issues like allergies…and frizzy, unruly hair! For those of us inflicted with the latter (and I’d wager there are more of us than we care to admit) we have to work extra hard to keep this problem at bay. Whether your hair is curly, straight or somewhere in-between, here are some remedies for unwanted frizz.
1. The first step to calming unmanageable hair is using the right shampoo and conditioner. To help smooth the hair shaft and prevent fly-aways use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner specifically for frizz control. After rinsing out conditioner, blast hair with cold water for 10 seconds to seal in smoothness. Try Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner, $24.00 each.
2. Be gentle! Avoid tugging and pulling your hair with the wrong tools, particularly when the hair is wet and at its most vulnerable. Constant ponytail wearing and rough brushing can cause split ends and breakage, resulting in said frizz. For the safest detangling, gently use a wide tooth comb while hair is wet and doused in conditioner. Try Sephora Collection Wide Tooth Comb, $4.00.
3. Leave-in conditioners are lighter than your regular, daily conditioner. They coat and smooth the hair shaft without weighing it down. Work a leave-in conditioner through damp hair, concentrating on damaged areas, and style as usual. Or for finer hair, apply to wet hair, wrap in a hot towel for 5 to 10 minutes, gently rinse out and feel the difference. Try Bumble and Bumble Leave-in (Rinse Out) Conditioner, $23.00.
4. Not sure if frizz control is worth the effort? There are products for the super low maintenance gal as well: Rub a finishing crème into dry hair to flatten the frizz. Try Kevin Murphy Easy Rider, $22.00.
5. Some frizz needs special treatment. Using an overnight repair serum a few times a week will replenish dry hair while you sleep. You’ll wake up with smoother, softer hair without the work! Try John Frieda Frizz-Ease Overnight Repair Formula Crème Serum, $15.99.
Louise Griew is a Toronto-born makeup artist whose second home is Melbourne, Australia. Her work can be seen in national and international advertising campaigns, magazines, music videos and on TV.