This year’s TIFF red carpet was dominated by lace, sequins and exotic embellishments as Hollywood’s A-listers and rising stars put a modern spin on classic glamour. While stunning couture dresses were everywhere this year, the best dressed chose to keep their makeup and accessories simple and classic, with crimson lips and sleek black pumps popping up all over the red carpet. Here are some of my favorite looks from TIFF 2012.
1. Holliday Grainger: I absolutely loved this Great Expectations star’s short black lace frock that she wore to the film’s premiere. Holliday paired this flirty dress with a sweetheart neckline and sheer mesh overlay with bright pink lips and sophisticated sweep of black liner.
2. Diane Kruger: Never one to disappoint on the red carpet, Diane Kruger looked radiant in the Valentino couture dress that she wore to the premiere of Inescapable. To balance out the intricate top of the dress which featured an animal-print design embellished with sequins and strips of fur, Diane pulled her hair up into a topknot and kept her makeup natural, for a look that was fresh and chic.
3. Zhang Ziyi: “Stunning” doesn’t even begin to describe Zhang Ziyi at the premiere of Dangerous Liasons. All eyes were on Zhang as she walked down the red carpet in a jaw-dropping ivory satin gown by Marc Bouwer which featured an elegant keyhole cut out and intricate beaded neckline. As a nod to Old Hollywood, Zhang kept her makeup and jewellery classic, completing her look with a beaded clutch, retro marcel waves and diamanté nails.
4. Sarah Gadon: Lace-detailed dresses were a noticeable trend at TIFF this year. Toronto native and star of Antiviral, Sarah Gadon looked very much the Hollywood starlet in a gold Dolce & Gabbana mid-length dress which she paired with crimson lips and classic black pointy pumps.
5. Emily Blunt: The star of the new dark comedy Arthur Newman looked lovely at the film’s premiere in a white tulle dress by Tory Burch. She paired the dress with soft grey strappy heels, a vintage inspired statement necklace and pulled her hair back into a slick ponytail to reveal a pair of demure stud earrings. Simple, glamorous and classy…I love it!
6. Emma Watson: This stylish Brit looked like a modern, chic pixie in a short embroidered dress by Erdem at the Perks of Being a Wallflower premiere. She finished this nymph-like look with a braided updo, red lips and black pointed-toe pumps.
7. Keira Knightley: Knightley is known for rocking gorgeous, ultra-feminine gowns on the red carpet, so it was no surprise when the Anna Kerenina star showed up for the premiere in this gorgeous lace gown by Elie Saab – proving once again that both lace and couture are hot this year at TIFF.
8. Kate Hudson: Never one to shy away from making a splash on the red carpet, Kate Hudson looked fiercely sexy in the white body-conscious Alexander McQueen gown that she wore to the screening of The Reluctant Fundamentalist. The bejewelled panel, padded shoulders and spiky McQueen clutch make this ensemble the perfect mix of glamour and edge.
9. Olga Kurylenko: This former Bond girl is proving to be a force to be reckoned with both onscreen and on the red carpet. The Ukrainian-born actress sparkled at the premiere of To the Wonder in a lady-like green shimmering Elie Saab dress and black pumps.
10. Halle Berry: A veteran on red carpet best-dressed lists, Halle looked sexy and pulled together in this perfectly tailored purple suit by Roberto Cavalli that she wore to the Cloud Atlas premiere. She paired the body-hugging suit with a sheer Monique Lhuillier blouse, waterfall earrings and her signature glowing complexion.
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.
Image credits: Holliday Grainger: Mark Davis; Diane Kruger: Alberto E. Rodriguez; Zhang Ziyi: Jemal Countess; Sarah Gadon: Jag Gundu; Emily Blunt, Keira Knightley, Olga Kurylenko, Halle Berry: Jason Meritt; Emma Watson: Sonia Recchia; Kate Hudson: Joe Scarnici