Summer is the time for adventure and who doesn’t enjoy a good road trip? However, with the excitement of the open road often comes the classic dilemma: what exactly to pack when space is limited and you’re going to be sitting in a vehicle for hours on end? Packing for a road trip is all about choosing carefree, easy-to-pack basics that require very little maintenance. Here are a few of totally road-friendly tips on how to look stylish and comfortable when you hit the road this summer:
1. Classic denim shirt: A must have summer layering piece — a classic denim shirt like this one by SheInside is perfect for throwing over a tank or a dress when the temperature drops.
2. Straw fedora: Protect your face from the rays and look good doing it in a straw fedora like this one by Forever 21 that features a trendy tribal printed hat band.
3. Feather necklace: If you’re planning on being in a car all day, it’s likely accessorizing is low on your list of priorities. For those of us who can’t leave home without a bit of neck candy, throw on a boho-inspired whimsical feather and crystal necklace like this one by Need Supply Co.
4. Sleeveless loose shirt: The last thing you want when you’re travelling is binding clothing. That’s why this flowing, sleeveless chiffon blouse (available at SheInside) is perfect for a road trip and makes for a chic alternative to the basic T-shirt.
5. Cut-off shorts: If there is anywhere that cut-off shorts are appropriate, it’s on a road trip. A staple for laid-back cool, choose a faded and frayed pair like these perfectly washed cut-offs by Mother (available at OTTE) or make your own out of a pair of jeans that have seen better days.
6. Flat sandals: Ditch the flip flops in favor of a chic and comfy flat sandal like these ones by Steve Madden (available at Swell). Pair them with skirts, dresses or shorts for a look that’s casual and stylish.
7. Tank top: It doesn’t get more versatile than a well-fitted tank top. Stock your road-trip wardrobe with lots of cute basic tanks like this seamless striped tank by Level 33 (available at eluxe.ca) that you can pair with shorts or a skirt.
8. Maxi Skirt: On-trend and extremely comfortable, maxi skirts are a great addition to any summer wardrobe. With its soft grey jersey material and forgiving roll-over waistband, this “Dip” maxi skirt by Top Shop is the perfect travelling companion.
9. Large Ikat print tote: Carry all of your essentials and channel the southwestern trend in a large ikat printed carry-all like this one by TOTEM (available at Stylebop).
10. Cat-eye sunglasses: Finish your look with a pair of vintage inspired cat-eye sunglasses worthy of Audrey Hepburn, like these “Louise” glasses by Vince Camuto (available at Shoebox). You’ll feel impossibly chic as the wind blows through your hair.
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.