As our lives continue to get busier and our schedules more jam-packed, many couples and singles are forgoing the traditional weekend date nights and instead, opting to hang out in the middle of the work week. The mid-week date offers less pressure and a fun way to break up the week, however it does present some wardrobe challenges — especially if you’re not planning to go home and change after work. The perfect weeknight date outfit is all about strategic layering and accessorizing. Here are a few simple tips on how to effortlessly transition your daytime professional look into an evening look that’s sexy, sophisticated and totally date appropriate.
What to Wear
1. Blazer: A crisp white blazer like this one by Sheinside is perfect for layering over-top of your date outfit for an office-friendly look. Remove the blazer later or bring it along as a chic cover-up once the temperature drops after dark.
2. Flirty dress: A colour-blocked silk cowl-neck dress like this one by DVF (available at Profile Fashion) is on-trend, flirty and totally date-appropriate. Yet, when paired with a blazer or cute cardigan is sophisticated enough to be work appropriate during the day.
3. Delicate necklace: A subtle charm necklace like this rose-gold horseshoe necklace by Laura Lee (available at Asos) is understated enough to be worn during the day at the office. For evening, layer it with other necklaces for a more dramatic look.
4. Beige pump: A pair of mid-height beige pumps like these ones by Michael Antonio (available at Heels.com) are perfect day-to-night shoe. Not only is the neutral colour incredibly versatile and matches almost every outfit, they’ll also make your legs look miles long — very sexy indeed.
5. Stylish tote bag: If you’re planning on bringing extra shoes, accessories or make-up for a a quick touch up, carry it all in a chic, structured tote like this two-toned bag by Reed Krakoff (available at Far Fetch) that transitions easily from boardroom to bar.
6. Sexy high heel sandals: To up the sexiness factor, swap your daytime pumps for a pair of metallic, high heel sandals like these ones by Reed Krakoff (available at Net-a-porter).
7. Evening clutch: If you’re looking to travel light, lock up your large purse or tote at the office and take only the essentials with you in a stylish evening clutch like this taupe and snakeskin envelope clutch by Fendi (available at My Theresa).
8. Additional accessories: Finish your look by layering on some sexy accessories like this stunning crystal and rose gold pendant necklace by Folli Follie (available at Lord and Taylor) or a sexy, modern gold and pearl cuff like this one by Delfina Delettrez (available at Opening Ceremony)
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.